“Why should I get a college degree?”
Has the teen in your life ever asked you this question? Whether you’re a parent, guardian, or other caring adult, you need convincing, practical answers to share with your teen. Here they are:
“You’ll gain greater understanding and skills to help you be successful in our complex world.”
College enables you to:
- Expand your knowledge and skills.
- Express your thoughts clearly in speech and in writing.
- Grasp abstract concepts and theories.
- Increase your understanding of the world and your community.
- Gain more financial security.
“You’ll find a greater range and number of job opportunities.”
In our changing world, more and more jobs require education beyond high school. College graduates have more jobs to choose from than those who don’t pursue education beyond high school.
“You’ll earn more money—a lot more.”
A person who goes to college usually earns more than a person who doesn’t. According to the US Census Bureau, on average, someone with a Bachelor’s Degree earns $51,206—almost double the $27,915 earned annually by someone with only a high school diploma.